Saturday, March 1, 2014

First Impressions of Smith Lake


I arrived at Smith Lake Campground in time to check in and setup my "home away from home" for the next week. If you include a few small comfort items;  like an air mattress, rugs, table, fan and a chair, tent camping can be quit nice. 



The first thing I noticed when I scanned the shoreline of Smith Lake was the lack of fish-eating birds. In Florida, we use the birds to show us where bait and underwater grass is located. On Smith Lake I didn't have that clue. 


I am left with using the shoreline tree species to get an idea about the structure and cover below the water. My Lowrance StructureScan will help confirm my observations. 


Changes in tree species often indicate a change in soil type, traditionally called structure. Muck lines, gravel bars, and rock beds all cause changes in tree growth. The edges are known as ecotones, and all good hunters know that edges are where wildlife concentrate.  


I covered the differences here in one of my first "Structure Basics" seminars at the Orlando BassProShops 
Video credits: Cheyanne Holland. I hope you enjoy it. 

No comments: